Monday, May 11, 2009

A Long Weekend in the Woods

For mother's day weekend, we went away into the woods. The weather was lovely. The flying insects were plentiful. A porcupine quill was discovered by a foot. I found a few more by looking at the ground under trees that had bare spots in their bark. Our dog discovered something he was excited about.
We did not let him keep his treasure because we knew it would aggravate his food allergy. He was disappointed, but in time, he came to see our point.

This pile of rocks was added to.

We studied this beaver dam for a while, but never saw the builders.

Turkeys were seen leisurely crossing a field. In season, but after noon.

The boys were drawn by the allure of a cold running stream.



We had a wonderful time. I brought home a surprise mother's day gift also! I do not yet have a nice picture to show it off. For now, I can say that it is round, and quite old. Part of it was in the ground for a very long time, and it took my good husband considerable toil to acquire it for me. I will show you later. -Polly

No comments: